Saturday 16 March 2013

Week 1 - Reflective Practice


It has been a while since I was with K.G 2 children and this was due many elements such as the winter vacation and my maternity leave. However, I feel excited and fresh to teach a gain because now I get to try my free style of teaching 60% of the week.
Now, I realize that I have to look at what I do in the class room and plan it well in order to achieve a better learning experience for children. I also have to locate challenges and be able to reflect on what causes them so I develop professionally and personally. I believe that us as teacher to be can impact on not only the children we teach but also children in our families . Reflective thinking in teaching can also help us to conduct our higher education in the near future but it has to follow standard step which are:
1-      State the purpose of this reflection, in other words why is it important to reflect on this certain issue.

2-      Collect data i.e teaching diary, peer assessment (observation), assessing children’s output.

3-      Analyse which can be via thinking, talking to colleagues about it, refer to literature,..

4-      Conclusion by finding a solution or even praise yourself.

In this week the only dilemma I found was that children were restless and acting so active that sometimes they do not listen to the teacher or me even though they remembered me well.

Purpose: I have to establish rules so I can teach with minimum challenges of behavior, also to achieve the outcomes of ADEC during ten weeks.
Data: I have noticed through my day to day diaries that children’s challenging behaviors are accelerated when the co-teacher is teaching and this is because she is a substitute of Ms. Fatima who is in a maternity leave. I also noticed that many interruptions during teaching can dis-engage children from focusing at the teacher and therefore they well be tempted to wonder around.
Analysis: I tried to talk with Ms. C. about it and she said that the reasons are the same on my data collection tool.
Conclusion: I have discussed this issue with My MST Ms. C and we both agree on reinforcing the rules continually every time I see children even when I am not teaching. We also agreed that I have to be consistent and do what I say so children can take me seriously.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I think this load of classes will help us a lot to narrow our style in teaching and the way that we deal with the children in. I discover many weaknesses and many ways to cover it. I can control the class more better that before. As well as I think the children took me seriously as a teacher because I teach them most of the time.

    ReplyDelete