Saturday 16 March 2013

WEEK 3 - Critical Incident


I presented a literacy lesson which was observed by both Ms. C and Dr. Hunt. I planned well and was so prepared and optimistic to teach. However, I faced a challenging situation which was at the beginning of the lesson with children wondering around the classroom and refusing to sit in the carpet area.

Purpose: I need to practice my authority as a teacher and be able to clearly state my rules in matters of telling children to stop sit and be ready to listen. This must help me to be organized and help children to understand that they can only participate after sitting and listening to the teacher.

Data: After my reflection and feedbacks with from my mentoring college and school teachers I believe that the issue was raised because I brought children from the music room to the classroom without leading them in to the classroom or being in front of them in the carpet area.

Analysis: Children need to be guided and lead by the teacher or caregiver and because of my short absence from the carpet area children assumed the teacher i.e ‘me’ will leave them alone in the classroom to play freely and choose their activity.

Conclusion: I have discussed this issue with both my mentors and I realize that I have to guide and sometimes lead their behavior in order to avoid their challenging behavior or any distraction my interfere when presenting a lesson.

2 comments:

  1. I think that managing children’s behavior is very important so try to start a management strategy. Another thing which can help you to let children sit and listen to you is by providing interesting activities to motivate them and trigger their curiosity.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, too, that sometimes newcomer teachers often don't always realise that they are in the position of responsibility and power in the class and so forget to assert themselves as a teacher. I've seen this happen sometimes especially in the KG classes where they maybe 3 teachers and each of them assumes the other is in charge. As a student, too, it's quite natural to defer to the more experienced teachers and only teach 'your bit' of the lesson. This may have been the case in past TPs, but soon you will have your own class and there will be no other teacher to defer to, so you need to practice all aspects of the teacher's role while you have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete