Thursday 18 April 2013

Week 6 - Critical incident


This is the first week after the spring break and I am still enthusiastic to teach and learn. However, I had a situation on Wednesday that got me thinking about how to address children’s manners. I was busy planning for nest week with Ms. C while the children were in the ART class, then I was surprised by the Head of Deputy coming to tell me that a parent of a boy in my class called to complain about me because I gave her boy a time out alone in the playground under the heat and the sun because he hit his peer. None of this happened because I never stay alone with children anywhere and I shadow Ms. C. besides whenever I take a decision of putting a child in timeout I refer to Ms. C. and tell her the reason.
Purpose:
I need to know if it is convenient to give a child a time out after a series of bad manners. Because I have tried it through my T.Ps and it work well but I still have some doubts after this incident as I try to build a positive relationship with staff, children and parents.
Data:
The data about managing children behaviour in my previous journals indicates that I can use many strategies inside and outside the classroom. This is because children are spontaneous and they tend to challenge themselves as well as the teacher one in a while. I also have many feedbacks and complements from my mentors regarding decisions I made during lessons to control and minimise bad manners as well as challenging behaviour.
Analysis:
This incident show that children are reflective about what they did wrong at school. It also teach me to record any rewards or punishments given to students in order to avoid such situations in future.
Conclusion:
I talked to the Head of Deputy in front of Ms. C. and she was a witness that no such thing took place which made me confident to meet the mother if necessary.


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the child in question got upset and has decided to take some kind of revenge on you. Did the Deputy Head support you in this? Or did she support the parent unquestioningly? Make sure that you warn any child clearly BEFORE you carry out any kind of consequence and explain to the child what he/she did that was not acceptable and what he/she should do, too. Perhaps, your time out should be less about isolation and more about sitting next to the teacher. I hope the situation is resolved now.

    ReplyDelete