Sunday 18 November 2012

Reflective Journal - 7


Today I presented Numeracy and Literacy lessons and they were based on my teacher’s lesson plan. To be specific, I only used the stories that my teacher was going to introduce for both lessons . As for following the outcomes:

Numeracy : Read, Write and represent 1 digit numbers.
Literacy : Follow simple instruction with minimal support.
I managed to introduce my idea for focus group and I believe that I managed to achieve the outcomes. Anyway, I worked with a group that was differentiated as a (Mid-Low) group which means that all children in this group can do some tasks individually but they needed the teacher’s support to break down the activity and so I did which lead me to a surprising fact about this group.

Observation:
Children were expected to throw the dice and then match the number that settles with animals pictures (That are stuck with a toothpick) in a basket, then count the pictures and insert them into the cork board each child has. Children were supposed to identify numbers from 1-7, instead they could identify numbers from 1-9 and beyond.

Evaluation:
I thought instantly, if they can count and Identify numbers from 1-9, therefore, they achieved half on the numeracy outcome and they would be able to write most of these digits which allows them to move on to the next group. However, it could be useful to keep it as it is because some children helped scaffold their peers’ numerical abilities by helping them to counting and speaking together. Vygotsky believed that “Speech both enables the child to interact socially and facilitates thinking.” (Chalesworth and Lind, 2010, p. 17).

Planning:
I’m planning to work with each child individually in order to develop their numerical awareness. For example, I can present flash cards that have digits 1-10, then ask the child to say the number and may be write it on a small board or their numeracy book. This is somewhat a challenging task because they have to go beyond what it is required of them.
 
Action:
Will take place tomorrow Monday 19/Nov.2012 During the numeracy lesson.

 

The Activity resources

 Children's scaffolded learning by communicating

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I liked the way that you do in writing your reflection. Observation, evaluation, planning and action and I might add it to my next reflection. Good and active lesson, I liked it.

    When you are aware of how the learning is moving on while you are teaching and when you are changing what you think it should be change for the benefits of the children, her you are improving and learning from your teaching practice because mistakes will appear all the time but we should recognize it and find a good or may be a better way to solve it, this is more important!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Asma it is very good self- evaluation and I liked your way of writing it and I may use it if you don't mind. Good luck with your teaching practice.

    ReplyDelete